for District Provided Access to Electronic Information, Services, and Networks
It is the policy of the Daleville Community Schools that students and staff will use all technology to access electronic ("computer") networks, including the Internet and e-mail, in a responsible, legal, and ethical manner. Failure to do so may result in the loss of network privileges for the user, disciplinary action under the Code of Discipline, and/or prosecution under federal or state law.
The DCS Acceptable Use Policy outlines appropriate use and prohibited activities when using all technology resources and electronic devices as defined by school administrators. Every student is expected to follow all of the rules and conditions listed, as well as those given verbally by DCS teachers and administrators, and to demonstrate good citizenship and ethical behavior at all times.
Daleville Community Schools (DCS) provides a wide range of technology resources for student use. These technology resources are to be used only for educational purposes. This agreement outlines appropriate use and prohibited activities when using all technology resources and electronic devices as defined by school administrators. Every student is expected to follow all of the rules and conditions listed, as well as those given verbally by DCS teachers and administrators, and to demonstrate good citizenship and ethical behavior at all times.
DCS uses a filtering system to track and monitor all computer and Internet use on the DCS network as well as those DCS owned devices that are used on non-DCS networks. The system is designed to prevent access to educationally inappropriate sites. DCS educators can request that a specific site be blocked or unblocked by contacting the DCS Help Desk.
It is important to understand that no filtering system is perfect. Due to the nature of the Internet and evolving technology, even with supervision, we cannot guarantee that students will not reach an inappropriate site. It is the student’s responsibility to report any inappropriate site to the teacher.
Below are examples, but not an exhaustive list, of online conduct that may constitute a violation of federal and/or state criminal laws relating to cybercrimes:
Criminal Acts: These include, but are not limited to, “hacking” or attempting to access computer systems without authorization, threatening/harassing email, cyber-stalking, child pornography, vandalism, unauthorized tampering with computer systems, using misleading domain names, using another person’s identity and/or identity fraud.
Libel Laws: Publicly defaming people through publishing material on the Internet, email, etc.
Copyright Violations: Copying, selling or distributing copyrighted material without the express written permission of the author or publisher (users should assume that all materials available on the Internet are protected by copyright), engaging in plagiarism (using other's words or ideas as your own).
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY FOR NETWORKS, INCLUDING THE INTERNET
This Acceptable Use Policy was developed with input from DCS administrators, teachers, students, parents, and the Daleville Police Department.
By signing the Acceptable Use Policy, students and parents/guardians acknowledge the following rules and conditions: As a student at Daleville Community Schools, I understand that the use of the school network and email is a privilege, not a right. I understand that my school network and email accounts are owned by DCS and are not private. DCS has the right to access my information at any time. I understand that DCS administrators will deem what conduct is inappropriate use if such conduct is not specified in this agreement. I will use technology in a manner that complies with laws of the United States and the State of Indiana. I understand that I am to notify an adult immediately if I encounter material that violates appropriate use.
STUDENT RESPONSIBLE USE
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY COMPUTER ACCOUNT AND EMAIL ACCOUNT. I understand that passwords are private and that I should not share my password with anyone. I understand that I am responsible for all activities done through my account. I will not allow others to use my account name and password, or try to use that of others. I understand that I will be in violation of the law if I attempt to electronically capture another person’s password. I understand that it is important to log off the computer at the end of every session so another user cannot use my password.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY LANGUAGE. I will use appropriate language in my email messages, online postings, and other digital communications with others. I will not use profanity, vulgarities or any other inappropriate language as determined by school administrators.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW I TREAT OTHER PEOPLE. I will use email and other means of communications (e.g. blogs, wikis, chat, instant-messaging, discussion boards, etc.) responsibly. I will not send or post hateful or harassing mail, make discriminatory or derogatory remarks about others, or engage in bullying, harassment, or other antisocial behaviors while in school or out of school.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY USE OF THE DALEVILLE COMMUNITY SCHOOL NETWORK. I will use DCS computer resources responsibly. I will not search, retrieve, save, circulate or display hate-based, offensive or sexually explicit material. I will not search, retrieve, save or circulate images or information about weapons using any DCS computer resources unless authorized by school administrator/teacher as part of a school assignment. I understand the use of the DCS network for illegal or commercial activities is prohibited.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR MY CONDUCT ON ALL ONLINE SITES. I understand that what I do on social networking websites should not negatively impact the school learning environment and/or my fellow students, teachers and administrators.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE TO BE HONEST WHILE I AM ONLINE. I understand that impersonating, spoofing, or pretending to be someone else is forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to, sending out email, creating accounts, or posting messages or other online content (e.g. text, images, audio or video) in someone else's name.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING THE SECURITY OF THE DALEVILLE COMMUNITY SCHOOLS’ NETWORK. I will not attempt to bypass security settings or Internet filters, or interfere with the operation of the network by any means including, but not limited to, installing illegal software such as file sharing, shareware, or freeware on school computers.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR PROTECTING SCHOOL PROPERTY. I understand that vandalism is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to accessing, modifying, or destroying equipment, programs, files, or settings on any computer or technology resources. I understand that I need authorization from a school administrator/teacher to use personal electronic devices that I bring to school, including, but not limited to, memory storage devices (i.e. USB drives).
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR RESPECTING OTHER PEOPLE’S PROPERTY ONLINE. I will obey copyright laws. I will not plagiarize or use other’s work without proper citation and permission. I will not illegally download materials protected by copyright including, but not limited to, music and movies.
- I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR FOLLOWING SCHOOL RULES WHENEVER I PUBLISH ANYTHING ONLINE. I will follow all guidelines set forth by DCS and/or my teachers when publishing schoolwork online (e.g. to a website, blog, wiki, discussion board, podcasting or video server). I understand that it is unsafe to post any personal information about myself, including but not limited to: my name, address, phone number or school. I will not post photos of students with their first and last names on any online site, including but not limited to: blogs, wikis, and discussions forums.